Follow these tips to have safe and healthy work-outs:
- When you exercise, start slowly, progress gradually, and cool down slowly.
- You should be able to talk while exercising. If not, you may be exercising too intensely.
- Take frequent breaks.
- Don’t exercise on your back after the first trimester. This can put too much pressure on an important vein and limit blood flow to the baby.
- Avoid jerky, bouncing and high-impact movements. Connective tissues stretch much more easily during pregnancy. So these types of movements put you at risk of joint injury.
- Don’t exercise at high altitudes (more than 6,000 feet). It can prevent your baby from getting enough oxygen.
- Make sure you drink lots of fluids before, during and after exercising.
- Do not work-out in extreme heat or humidity.
- If you feel uncomfortable, short of breath or tired take a break and take it easier when you resume exercise.